Blog post originally published by Adam Robinson on http://cerasis.com Permission to publish provided by Adam Robinson.
With the increase in the popularity of e-shops and delivery companies, the logistics e-commerce business keeps growing. It faces more and more challenges, as customers need companies to be quick and increase their logistics performance more than ever before.
What does it mean for your business? This article explains why understanding and following the key trends in logistics e-commerce are crucial for organizations that want to save their place in the supply chain and get better results with less effort.
Now the market offers and requires fast shipping, high quality, and reliability. To do it right Logistics companies need to increase the speed of delivery and quality of their services or they won’t be able to compete.
However, there are no reasons to panic yet. On the other hand, there are many tools and technologies that help companies in the e-commerce logistics industry and let them organize their business well to get the needed results and keep rolling in the competitive market.
1. Digitalization And Automation For E-Commerce Logistics Providers
People keep saying that each company that wants to win in the competitive world should get digital and use automation. However, not everything is that simple! It is not enough just to buy a PC for each employee’s desk, provide packages tracking, extend corporate website functionality, and install corporate software that will calculate the data faster.
More and more new technologies are being invented every day so a Logistics company needs to obtain them before its competitors do and follow the latest trends in electronic logistics.
There is also an opportunity to use Big Data technologies. There are more and more solutions in this area, which means that companies can apply them for making their services even faster and more convenient. With the increase in the number of delivered goods, it becomes more difficult to gather the necessary data and analyze it in real time. However, there is a simple solution. By using Big Data companies can solve these problems and manage a much larger amount of data than they are managing now.
Today, we can observe the following digital trends for e-commerce and logistics:
- Decreasing usage of cash and wallets and support for more convenient digital payment methods such as mobile devices;
- Predicting market behavior by using special software;
- Using a database of clients and special software to understand what they want from you;
- Mobile integration and using the power of small screen devices;
- The automation of the delivery process at every point possible
Managers should also keep their teams well-educated. If any technology is going to be implemented in the company, its employees have to understand what it is and how it can be used to do their jobs well.
2. Flying Drones And Other Unusual Logistics E-Commerce Solutions
Amazon has announced that it is going to use drones for the delivery of goods. There are also many predictions on the role of self-driving transport in delivery. If Uber is going to use such vehicles for providing taxi services it would be relevant to use them for delivery as well. Of course the industry of automated logistics based on using drones and cars is not yet implemented but many companies are talking about it. It is possible that logistics technologies will go this way very soon.
It doesn’t mean that every logistics company needs to buy delivery drones and invest in self-driving cars – it means that companies will keep looking for unusual delivery methods and it is better to follow such trends as they are growing before these ideas are implemented.
3. Personalization And Collaboration With Customers
Personalization technologies are very common in e-commerce for now because every client likes to feel special and get interesting offers. With time, the role of a personal approach to each customer will become even bigger.
With the “Made in America” trend popularized by the current US president, it is possible that Americans will buy more American products. For others there is a general sentiment that it is good to buy locally produced goods.
Companies should also improve their communication with clients. There are at least a few ways of doing it:
- Using chatbots on websites and in applications that help clients get the needed information and solve their problems before people from support team do it;
- Take a personal approach to each client including a personalized newsfeed and offers;
- Full 24 hour support that helps customers to solve their problem fast and get the information they need; without a good customer support, your client will start looking for other companies;
- Same-day delivery and flexibility of the logistics process to meet the needs of customers;
- Rewards for customers to keep them loyal.
Logistics and E-Commerce are inextricably intertwined. Advances in technology, increased customer expectations, greater competitiveness and many other macroeconomic and political factors will all shape the future landscape of Logistics and E-Commerce!
Please check out our updated website and our latest blogs at https://supplychaingamechanger.com.
Selected as one of the Top 75 Supply Chain Blogs on the Internet.