Logistics chain companies are often tied down by the schedules and requirements of their warehouse clients or partners, such as with warehouse management software. They go to the warehouse at the appointed time.
But if there was some delay in the sorting and packing of the cargo, their trucks would spend additional waiting and idle time at the warehouse. If the warehouse made the wrong estimate of the space they need, there would be a lot of unused space in one delivery truck.
These are just some of the inefficiencies in warehouse operations that logistics chain companies have to manage.
These gaps and inefficiencies can be significantly reduced with the adoption, for instance, of the supply chain management software from Softeon and other similar companies. The logistics chain companies can also enhance their productivity if their warehouse clients used software applications.
Here are a few ways by which warehouse management software could have an impact on the logistics chain.
1. Integrate Warehouse Operations With Logistics Chain
The first impact of adopting and implementing a warehouse management software is that it can integrate the warehouse operations and management with the logistics chain operations and management.
The design and installation of warehouse operations and management can be arranged with a seamless interconnection. This is in line with the operations software of logistics chain companies that provide services to the warehouse.
Here are some of the effects of integrating warehouse management software with the logistics chain:
- There will be improved and enhanced coordination between warehouse management and logistics chain operations.
- Warehouse management can give the logistics chain a forecast of the cargo and packages which are going to be shipped out of the warehouse. The logistics chain, in turn, can schedule the appropriate make or number of delivery trucks to send to the specific warehouse.
- The logistics chain can help the warehouse management plan and optimize the allocation of space in the delivery trucks based on the forecast of packages to be picked up, as well as the sizes of the different boxes and containers.
- The logistics chain can schedule the arrival of delivery trucks just in time for the readiness of the cargo items. This will also help the logistics chain make the most of its time and resources to earn more revenues
2. Increase Efficiency Of Logistics Chain
Another impact of adopting and installing warehouse management software is it will increase the efficiency of the logistics chain solutions providers. Logistics chains are highly dependent on the schedule and requirements of warehouses. They won’t send a truck unless the warehouse called that it needs a truck of a specific size and tonnage capacity.
Here are some of the potential impacts of warehouse management software on the efficiency of logistics chains:
- Logistics chains can use their trucks for other deliveries and commitments since the warehouse management software can give them a more accurate and consistent schedule of pick-ups and deliveries.
- Based on the loading schedule and space allocation requested by the warehouse, the logistics chain can arrange the schedules of its fleet of trucks so that the most suitable cargo truck is always available at about the time that it’s needed by the specific warehouse.
- There would be a lessened waiting and idle time of the delivery trucks. There can be a positive impact on the efficient use of resources by the logistics chain, possibly resulting in more trips and higher gross revenues.
3. Optimize Productivity And Delivery Routing
There is a power of advanced and more organized information management that warehouse management software can provide to the logistics chain. It could significantly optimize the productivity and delivery routing of the logistics company.
Increasing efficiencies is only removing the unnecessary gaps in the use of time and resources by reducing waiting and idle time. Optimizing productivity and routing takes it to the next level.
Here are some of the ways by which logistics chains can optimize their productivity and delivery routing as an effect of the implementation of a management software by the warehouse client or partner:
- Logistics chain can map out their schedule of pickups and deliveries to optimize the number and capacity of their fleet of trucks and match the requirements for space allocation and schedule of the warehouse client.
- If the warehousing client, has several warehouses, the logistics chain can further optimize its productivity and delivery routing. They can use the backload to pick up cargo from the original delivery point to be carried to its delivery point.
- Logistics chain companies can further optimize delivery routing by scheduling the warehouses and delivery points nearest to each other in the same truck delivery and pickup schedule.
4. Offer Tracking Of Delivery, Routing, And Unloading
When the warehousing client or partner adopts and implements its warehouse management software, the real-time integration of data management will enable the delivery management software of the logistics chain.
With the use of GPS devices, tracking software applications, and video camera monitoring solutions, the logistics chain can give the warehouse client access to real-time data on delivery operations. Here are some of the other ways by which logistics chain companies can enhance the tracking capabilities of warehouses using management software:
- Logistics chain companies can provide bar code scanning or Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) services which would enable warehouse clients to monitor and track the exact location and status of their boxes and containers, especially those containing high-value cargo.
- Logistics chain companies can offer clients access to the location, motion, transportation GPS devices, and tracking software. This would give their clients real-time information about the location of the specific truck containing the cargo that they’re tracking. This would also give an alert to the warehouse client in the event the delivery truck gets involved in an accident or is held down by heavy traffic somewhere.
- The bar code scanning or RFID facilities can also be used at the point of delivery or unloading destination. This will give accurate information to the warehouse client about the specific cargo boxes and containers which have been unloaded and properly received at the point of delivery or unloading destination.
The adoption and implementation of warehouse management software can significantly benefit logistics chain companies. The integration of their systems and the mutual access to real-time data management will plug a lot of gaps and inefficiencies.
It will also optimize the productivity and delivery routing of their fleet of trucks. They can also offer real-time monitoring and tracking of deliveries and unloading to their warehouse clients. The warehouse software will create a synergy between warehouses and logistics chains systems.